Rosacea can be treated with topical or oral treatments or both. Minocycline can be utilized both topically and orally in patients experiencing rosacea. It is a condition that impacts the skin and may worsen over time if not addressed.
The severity of the condition may differ between patients. Therefore, rosacea treatment will be adjusted as per the severity of rosacea in every patient along with other factors.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven compounding treatments to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and nationwide.
Minocycline for Rosacea
Minocycline is an antibiotic, and it can be used topically as well as orally. The oral use of minocycline is prescribed for patients with severe rosacea.
This treatment will eliminate bacteria from the body leading to clearer skin and a reduction in the redness and swelling. But in mild and moderate cases of rosacea, a topical formulation with minocycline 125 mg with a clarifying base may be most effective.
Initially, the treatment should be more aggressive to ensure that it is effective. In case the rosacea symptoms subside, the treatment can be made less intensive. The dermatologist can prescribe this treatment for 2 to 4 weeks or even more. The duration of the treatment depends on the condition’s severity.
According to a study by the British Journal of Dermatology, 100 mg of Minocycline a day is as effective as, and by some measures even more effective in the treatment of the papules and pustules of rosacea in comparison to a 40mg daily doxycycline treatment (Oracea).
Though minocycline is frequently used to treat rosacea, its efficacy is not proven. There is no reported research which compares minocycline with another antibiotic for treating rosacea.
This is the initial study which compares minocycline and doxycycline for rosacea treatment, including the assessment of the quality of life as a primary result.
Superiority of Minocycline over Oracea
The study enlists the following cases where Minocycline 100 mg daily is more effective than Oracea.
- Minocycline 100mg daily offers a more extensive remission period than doxycycline 40mg does. In other words, there were lesser relapses in the minocycline group after the treatment was complete.
- Those people who cannot take Oracea due to of allergic or other concerns may find minocycline provides them a feasible alternative.
- By two qualitative measures, the Rosacea Quality of Life (RosaQoL) and the Patient Global Assessment (PaGA), the minocycline group was much better as a treatment group in comparison to the Oracea group.
- Additionally, minocycline is available as a slow release formulation known as Solodyn. Various brands such as Akamin, Minocin, and Dynacin offer such formulations.
Like all systemic treatments, and specifically antibiotics, there are known unwanted side effects from minocycline treatment.
Minocycline Side Effects
Minocycline in its topical form will typically have no side effects. But if taken orally, it may have the following side effects in a few cases:
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Hyperpigmentation in specific regions of the skin
- Upset stomach
- Rashes, if the patient develops an allergic response
- Blurry vision
- Kidney damage, in exceptional cases
American Integrative Pharmacy receives patients from Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and nationwide for a wide range of compounding treatments.
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Lomita, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Torrance and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.