Allantoin is a topical medication that generally helps in treating common issues of the skin, such as an itchy and scaly texture, and skin irritation conditions like minor burns, cuts and diaper rash. Allantoin also helps in the treatment of burns caused due to radiation therapy.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides compounding pharmacy treatments to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and nationwide.
Outstanding Points to Mention
Allantoin is an effective moisturizing agent that can prevent or treat minor skin irritants like radiation therapy induced skin burns, diaper rashes and skin texture that is itchy, scaly, rough, and dry.
It also acts as an emollient, which is a substance that moisturizes the skin and makes it soft, while also minimizing flaking and itching at the same time. Certain products such as white petrolatum and zinc oxide contain this agent. These products are mostly used for protecting the skin against irritation.
Loss of water in the skin’s upper layer causes dry skin. Emollients or moisturizers work be generating an oily layer on the top of the skin that helps in trapping water in it. Some common emollients include dimethicone, mineral oil, lanolin, and petrolatum.
Glycolic acid, citric acid, and lactic acid also contain allantoin. These acids help in removal of the dead skin, and enable the skin to retain more moisture, while providing a softer and smoother feel to the skin.
Allantoin is an active moisturizing ingredient obtained from the Comfrey herb’s root. Its therapeutic action helps in promoting skin healing.
Basic Functions of Allantoin
Some of the key functions of allantoin include:
- Hydrating: The emollient increases the skin’s water content.
- Desquamating: It encourages the stratum corneum’s natural exfoliation.
- Repairing: Allantoin is well known for its capability to stimulate cell proliferation, whereby new tissue growth is encouraged. It also heals wounds by clearing away the necrotic tissue and paving the path for a new and healthy tissue.
- Healing: It is an active protector of the skin, which encourages the healing process of the skin. The quality also makes it an appropriate ingredient for the treatment of minor irritations and wounds.
- Relieving Dryness: Allantoin facilitates the regeneration of the cells, counteracts dryness, and repairs an impaired barrier. It also makes sensitive skin resilient.
- Protecting: It makes the skin softer and also prevents it from getting sun damaged or chapped. It also helps in protecting the skin from damage that can be caused by the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
- Soothing: It is a good anti-irritant and helps in soothing and calming skin inflammation. Therefore, allantoin also makes for a good ingredient in baby products.
- Free Radical Activity Reducer: Applying it topically enables the reduction of free radical activity on the skin.
- Promoter of Keratolytic Action: It plays regulatory and protective functions in the skin’s outer layer, like in the epidermis. The emollient also synthesizes a good amount of oils and proteins that occur naturally in the stratum corneum.
American Integrative Pharmacy receives patients from Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and nationwide for compounding pharmacy treatments.
For more information on compound pharmacy medications available or to make an online prescription purchase, please click here or call Toll Free 1-855-247-7948.
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Lomita, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Torrance and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.