Prednisone for Kids
Prednisolone and prednisone are useful medications for reducing swelling and inflammation in the airways. Your child may require the medications for just a few days when they have problem breathing, wheezing, coughing, or asthma attacks.
These drugs are also known as corticosteroids. They are different from the steroids made for athletes to help them excel at sports. Hence, they don’t cause the same side effects as steroids developed for athletic use. There is no effect on your child’s growth or immune system by using corticosteroids for a short duration of time.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven compounding medications to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
This is a corticosteroid used for reducing inflammation in the body. It also suppresses the immune system and can be used for treating a wide variety of conditions, such as skin diseases, hormonal disorders, lupus, arthritis, allergic conditions, Crohn’s disease, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, lung diseases, kidney disorders, blood cell disorders, asthma, tuberculosis, lymphoma, leukemia, organ transplant rejection, multiple sclerosis, and swelling from brain injury or tumor.
Before Giving Prednisone
Tell your doctor about any reactions to steroids and other medications. Your doctor will prescribe special precautions with the medication if your child has suffered any recent exposure to infection.
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist about the following conditions:
- Stomach or intestine problems
- Problems with blood sugar or diabetes
- Eye problems, such as glaucoma
- High blood pressure
- Kidney, heart or liver problems
- Behavior issues
Instructions for Administering Prednisone
- Corticosteroids should be given to children exactly in the manner prescribed by the doctor or the pharmacist. This is even if your child starts to feel better. Never stop giving corticosteroids unless your doctor or pharmacists gives the go ahead.
- Corticosteroids should be given with food
- Pick a time of the morning to give the drug. And, make sure you give the medication at the same time each day. You should never miss any doses.
- Shake the bottle well before use if you are giving your child liquid form of the medication. Make sure you use the special syringe or spoon that comes with the medication for measuring it.
Missed Dose of Prednisone
You should do the following if you missed giving your child a prednisone dose:
- Give the missed dose as soon as you remember
- Skip giving the missed dose if it is almost time for the next one
- Give your child the next dose at a regular time
Make sure you never give more than the required amount of corticosteroid in a particular time frame.
Possible Side Effects of Prednisone
There are very few or no side effects if corticosteroids, like prednisone are given for a few days only. However, you should call the doctor if your child exhibits the following symptoms, and they don’t go away:
- An increase in appetite
- Upset stomach
- Throwing up (nausea
- Problem sleeping
- Changes in mood
AIP provides advanced compounding pharmacy solutions, including online prescription refills to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
California Pharmacy’s Online Compound Prescriptions
For more information on compound pharmacy medications available or to make an online prescription purchase, please click here or call Toll Free 1-855-247-7948.
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Torrance, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Lomita and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.