Nystatin for Children
Nystatin is an antifungal drug used for treating or preventing oral fungal infections, such as thrush. It can also be used for dealing with fungal infections in the digestive tract. Topical form of the medication is used for treating skin infections caused by yeast.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven compounding medications to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
Using Topical Nystatin
You should apply the exact amount as prescribed by your child’s doctor. Never use larger/smaller amount or use it for longer than recommended. Don’t use the medication if not prescribed by your doctor:
- Wash your hands prior to and after applying the medication
- Use nystatin topical after cleaning and drying the skin
- Don’t cover the treated skin unless the doctor asks you to
- Use the medication for the prescribed duration even if the symptoms improve
- Call the doctor if the symptoms begin deteriorating or don’t improve
- Never share the medication
- Store away from heat and moisture, at room temperature
Administering Nystatin Oral
- Give the child for the entire duration
- Don’t miss doses
- Shake the bottle well before each dose
- For infants, drop half the dose on each side of the tongue. You can also use a cotton swab. Don’t feed your baby for 5 – 10 minutes after giving the dose
- Ask older children to swish the medication around the mouth and hold it before swallowing
- Give the dose as soon as you remember
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for the next one
- Never give your child two doses for making up for the missed one
Possible Side Effects
These are a few potential side effects your child may have:
- Stomach pain
Other Important Information
- Make a list of all medications your child is on and show it to the doctor.
- Never share nystatin among children.
- Stock up on the medication to last through holidays, vacations and weekends. You should call the pharmacy at least 48 hours before for a refill to prevent your child from running out of the medication
- Keep nystatin liquid in a cool and dry place at room temperature. It should be kept away from sunlight. Never store it in the kitchen or bathroom.
- Don’t keep any medicines that are out of date. Ask your pharmacist about the best way to throw away leftover or outdated medicines.
Drug Interactions of Nystatin
You should make a list of all over the counter and prescription medications that your child is taking besides nystatin. Consult with your child’s doctor or pharmacist about these medications so that you can be aware of any interactions and find ways to prevent them.
Never freeze nystatin. You should always store it at room temperature.
Availability of Nystatin
Nystatin is available at most pharmacies. Make sure to call the pharmacist at least 2 business days before you need a refill. AIP provides advanced compounding pharmacy solutions, including online prescription refills to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
California Pharmacy’s Online Compound Prescriptions
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Torrance, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Lomita and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.