Azithromycin as an antibiotic is used for treating children with bacterial infections, like sinus and ear infections. The medicine is generally prescribed in tablet form, but is also available in liquid form for children that are not fond of taking pills. The treatment may last anywhere from 1 – 5 days depending on the infection your child has.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven compounding medications to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
The medication is approved for use in all children under the age of 6 months. Its effectiveness and safety have also been established. Azithromycin can be used for treating a wide range of pediatric conditions, such as:
- Acute bacterial sinusitis (sinus infection)
- Acute otitis media (inner ear infection)
- Strep throat
- Community acquired pneumonia
Azithromycin can be used for off-label purposes as well. It is generally prescribed for treating mild to moderate pediatric infections caused by susceptible bacteria, including pertussis (whooping cough) and walking pneumonia.
Azithromycin is a form of macrolide antibiotic, which includes roxithromycin, clarithromycin, and erythromycin. It is recommended for children that are allergic to penicillin. It can be taken with or without food and is usually provided as a single dose. The medication has gained popularity for being less expensive than other antibiotics.
There are several forms of azithromycin (brand name: Zithromax):
- Zithromax Tri-Pak, 500 mg tablets (three-day course)
- Zithromax Z-Pak, 250 mg tablets (five-day course)
- Zithromax for oral suspension
- Zmax (extended-release formulation)
The medication can be stored at room temperature. However, you would need to keep it away from excessive moisture, heat, or cold. Don’t freeze or refrigerate the medication, even when in liquid form. If azithromycin is available in powder form, it should not be mixed and kept.
Your child’s healthcare provider will tailor the dose depending on the child’s height and weight. The dose also depends on the condition being treated with typical dosages looking like:
- Ear infection: Either a once-daily dose for three days (10 mg/kg/day), single dose (30 mg/kg), or a once-daily dose for the next five days. This will start with 10 mg/kg for the first day and decrease to 5 mg/kg/day during the next four days.
- Sinus infection: One dose daily for 3 days (10 mg/kg).
- Community-acquired pneumonia: Single dose for five days similar to ear infection.
- Tonsilitis or strep throat: One dose daily for 5 days (12 mg/kg).
- Give your child the missed dose as soon as you remember unless the next dose is due within 12 hours. Skip the dose in such a situation, and give the next dose at the regular time. Never give dual doses.
Side Effects of Azithromycin
These are the most common side effects of children taking 5-day course:
- Abdominal pain
- Loose stools
You should call your healthcare provider if the side effects are persistent or severe. AIP provides advanced compounding pharmacy solutions, including online prescription refills to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
California Pharmacy’s Online Compound Prescriptions
For more information on compound pharmacy medications available or to make an online prescription purchase, please click here or call Toll Free 1-855-247-7948.
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Torrance, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Lomita and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.