Amoxicillin/clavulanate acid has proven to be highly effective in the last two decades for treating a wide variety of pediatric infectious diseases. This is particularly true in the case of acute otitis media (AOM).
High dose amoxicillin/clavulanate (Augmentin ES-600), a new form of pediatric formulation, was approved for use in the US in 2001. Needs of pediatricians was addressed with the high dose preparation. This medication provides a higher amount of amoxicillin while keeping the same dose of clavulanic acid.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven compounding medications to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
Understanding Amoxicillin + Clavulanate
Amoxicillin + clavulanate is basically a combination of two medications. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic used for treating certain infections caused by bacteria. However, there are certain bacteria which can destroy amoxicillin and prevent the drug from working. Clavulanate is added for protecting amoxicillin and letting it complete its job.
Amoxicillin + clavulanate is available in both liquid and tablet forms. You should tell the doctor if your child has the following before giving them amoxicillin + clavulanate:
- Allergy to clavulanate
- Allergy to penicillin, amoxicillin, or any other antibiotic
- Allergy to some other ingredient
You should speak with your child’s pharmacist or doctor if the child has the following conditions as well. The medication may not be right for your child in this case:
- Kidney or liver disease
- Phenylketonuria (PKU) – there is aspartame in the liquid form and should be used with caution
- mononucleosis (“mono”)
Administering Amoxicillin + Clavulanate
You should follow these instructions while administering amoxicillin + clavulanate in children:
- Give your child amoxicillin + clavulanate for as long as the doctor or the pharmacist tells you to. This is even if the child starts feeling better. Consult with the doctor before stopping amoxicillin + clavulanate for any reason.
- Make sure you give the medications at the same time every day or as instructed by your child’s pharmacist or doctor. Make sure you pick times that are easy so that you don’t miss giving your child any dose.
- Amoxicillin + clavulanate can be taken with or without food. However, it is better to give it at meal time if it causes an upset stomach.
- Shake the bottle well before every dose if you giving the medication in a liquid form. Use a medicine cup or syringe for measuring the dose.
Steps to Take if a Dose is Missed
You should do the following if your child misses a dose:
- Give the medication as soon as you remember
- Skip the missed dose and give the regular one if it is time for the next dose
- Never give your child more than one dose at a time. Don’t give two doses for making up for a missed dose
Amoxicillin + clavulanate is a fast-acting drug and begins working almost immediately. AIP provides advanced compounding pharmacy solutions, including online prescription refills to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
California Pharmacy’s Online Compound Prescriptions
For more information on compound pharmacy medications available or to make an online prescription purchase, please click here or call Toll Free 1-855-247-7948.
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Torrance, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Lomita and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.