People seeking ketamine treatment may want to know how to get it prescribed. Fortunately, it is fairly easy to get a prescription for ketamine. But filling that prescription can be challenging and expensive.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven compounding medications to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
Can Ketamine be Prescribed?
Any medical doctor can prescribe ketamine. But as ketamine has only been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as an anesthetic in a medical procedure, a person cannot simply walk into a pharmacy and purchase it.
In general, ketamine is administered through an intravenous (IV) infusion over the course of around 45 minutes. Ketamine can potentially be dangerous. People being administered an infusion are closely monitored during and following the procedure.
Sometimes doctors may choose to provide ketamine using an intranasal or intermuscular route. However, this would be undertaken in a medical setting, as well.
What Is Ketamine Prescribed For?
In general, ketamine compounding pharmacy treatment is prescribed for pain conditions and depression in major depressive disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), or bipolar disorder. Certain physicians specialize in pain or depression, while others may treat both.
How to Get Ketamine Prescribed
Any licensed medical doctor can prescribe ketamine treatments. Patients can visit their family doctor and get a prescription. But family doctors do not usually undertake the procedure and will refer the patient to a specialty clinic or doctor.
The referrals are filled out by the doctor and then faxed to the specialist’s office or clinic. Referrals usually describe what the patient is being treated for and what treatments they have previously tried.
After the patient has a referral, the specialist doctor or clinic will perform their own evaluation to determine whether ketamine really is the appropriate treatment for them. These assessments are meant to determine details such as:
- The psychiatric history of the patient, such as their current and past diagnoses, suicidal behavior, hospitalizations, etc.
- The patient’s social history such as their social supports and living conditions
- The family psychiatric history
- The patient’s present and past medications and treatments
- Their use of substances such as alcohol, marijuana, cigarettes, etc.
- The patient’s medical history including their experience with anesthesia
- Certain conditions may preclude an individual from receiving ketamine treatment, and some drugs need to be changed or discontinued for ketamine treatment to occur.
The following people should avoid ketamine treatment:
- Those with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia
- Those who suffer from seizures
- Those taking aminophylline for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or asthma
- Individuals with uncontrolled high blood pressure, cardiac disease, or pulmonary issues may need additional treatment prior to receiving ketamine infusions
After the patient has undergone this psychiatric and medical evaluation and has received clearance, they can receive ketamine infusions. Over the first two to three weeks, people can expect around six infusions.
Ketamine for Treatment-Resistant Depression
An emerging body of research now indicates that ketamine oral therapy can be effective in producing fast and long-lasting anti-depressant effects in people with treatment-resistant depression. The treatment effects usually establish within a few hours to two or three days after the patient receives the initial treatment.
AIP provides advanced compounding solutions, including online prescription refills to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Lomita, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Torrance and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.