The hypothalamus gland manufactures oxytocin, and it is then secreted into the bloodstream by the posterior pituitary gland. The electrical activity of neurons within the hypothalamus gland determines the secretion – oxytocin is released into the bloodstream when the cells are excited.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by the dedicated Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven compounding treatments to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and other suburbs and towns in this area of SoCal.
Functions of Oxytocin
The two primary functions of oxytocin in the body are the womb’s contraction during childbirth and lactation. It stimulates the muscles in the uterus to contact as well as increases the production of prostaglandins.
This leads to a further increase the contractions. At times, a woman may receive manufactured oxytocin to induce labor if it does not begin naturally. It can also be used to strengthen contractions during childbirth.
Additionally, speeding up delivery of the placenta and reducing the risk of heavy bleeding by contracting the uterus are also reasons for manufactured oxytocin use.
Oxytocin encourages the movement of milk into the breast during breastfeeding by allowing it to be secreted via the nipple. Oxytocin is found in males as well. It helps in sperm movement and the manufacturing of testosterone by the testes in men. In recent times, it has been suggested that oxytocin is a crucial element in social behavior.
Oxytocin plays the role of a chemical messenger in the brain. It has been proven to be an integral part of human behaviors such as recognition, mother-infant bonding, sexual arousal, anxiety, and trust. Consequently, oxytocin is termed as the ‘cuddle chemical’ or ‘love hormone.’
Some Key Facts on Oxytocin
Following are some important facts about oxytocin:
- The hypothalamus gland produces oxytocin, and it is secreted during sex, childbirth, and lactation to assist reproductive functions.
- Oxytocin has psychological and physical effects, including impacting social behavior and emotion.
- Oxytocin is prescribed for gynecological and obstetric purposes and can aid in childbirth.
- Research indicates that it may be beneficial to people with anxiety, autistic spectrum disorder (ASD), and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Oxytocin as a Medication
Oxytocin is a prescription medication. A medical professional will use an oxytocin injection to start birth contractions or strengthen these contractions during childbirth. It also helps decrease bleeding after delivery. Side effects of this medication include abnormal bleeding and a rapid heartbeat.
The uterus may rupture if excessive oxytocin is delivered too quickly. Furthermore, oxytocin can be given to enable the uterus to contract and manage bleeding after a termination or delivery. Oxytocin can be used to induce to complete a miscarriage or induce a termination.
Oxytocin and Emotion
Oxytocin seems to play a vital role in relationships and social interaction between people. Oxytocin impacts the uterus and lactation when it enters the bloodstream. However, when it enters specific parts of the brain, it can affect cognitive, emotional, social behaviors.
A research review into oxytocin indicates that the impact of the hormone on “pro-social behaviors” and emotional reactions contributes to psychological stability, relaxation, and trust.
American Integrative Pharmacy receives patients from Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and nationwide for a wide range of compounding treatments.
For more information on compound pharmacy medications available or to make an online prescription purchase, please click here or call Toll Free 1-855-247-7948.
- Oxytocin, also known as the “love hormone” is a powerful hormone that acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain. It is in control of our bonding feelings after making love or to induce labor for women.
- Studies have shown that compounded oxytocin nasal spray or sublingual troches have calming effects on the body and is our #1 seller for lowering anxiety and treating PTSD.
- The nasal spray works quickly and is easy to administer. Our lozenges dissolve under the tongue and provide relief for hours.
- Our product and formula are tested for purity and accuracy by a third party company.
- All ingredients used to make our oxytocin products are from US certified vendors developed in the USA.
- After placing their order, patients would receive their oxytocin the next day using our convenient free overnight shipping.
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Lomita, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Torrance and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.