FDA has recently released a warning for health care providers and consumers about the sharp increase in ethanol or ethyl alcohol based hand sanitizer products. However, the agency has observed that several of these products tested positive for methanol contamination. Wood alcohol or methanol is a highly toxic substance, which can prove to be life-threatening when ingested or absorbed through one’s skin.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven compounding medications to patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
Methanol Is Unacceptable in Hand Sanitizers
FDA has classified methanol as an unacceptable ingredient in hand sanitizers because of their highly toxic effects. FDA’s investigation is still ongoing where methanol in hand sanitizers is concerned. The agency will be releasing additional information as and when it becomes available.
Seek Immediate Medical Attention for Methanol Poisoning
Adults and children are both absorbing methanol through contaminated hand sanitizers as reported the FDA. This has led to several adverse effects, including hospitalization, blindness, and death.
FDA has stated that consumers that have been exposed to contaminated hand sanitizers should seek immediate medical treatment. This is necessary to reverse any possible toxic effects. While everyone is at a risk of attaining methanol poisoning by using these products on their hands, children are at an especially high risk.
CDC and FDA both recommend using soap and water for washing hands wherever possible instead of using a sanitizer. This is especially important before eating and after sneezing or coughing. However, if hand washing is not feasible, it is recommended to use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. The sanitizer should contain at least 60% ethanol to be effective as per CDC.
Immediate Concerns Regarding Hand Sanitizers
FDA is going to remain vigilant and take actions whenever hand sanitizer quality issues arise. The agency has listed the following as immediate concerns:
- Dangers of ingesting hand sanitizers, even the ones that are not contaminated with methanol. There have been reports of young adults and adolescents drinking hand sanitizers for their alcohol content.
- Insufficient amount of isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol in hand sanitizers
- Unproven, false, and misleading claims to increase the sale of hand sanitizers. This includes claims of sanitizers offering 24-hour prolonged protection and preventing the transmission of coronavirus.
- Hand sanitizers that are fraudulently labeled FDA-approved. FDA has not approved any hand sanitizers until now.
- Hand sanitizers packaged to appear as candy, drinks, or liquor bottles since these are at a high risk of being accidentally ingested. Such marketing also encourages ingestions with children being among the high risk group. Even a small amount of ethyl alcohol based hand sanitizer can prove to be fatal in children.
- Products containing poisonous or harmful ingredients, such as methanol.
FDA has encouraged consumers, healthcare professionals, and patients to come forward with complaints of quality issue and adverse effects through FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program.
Hand Sanitizers For Sale to Help Combat Covid- 19 – FDA Formulation – 75% Isopropyl Alcohol
Hand hygiene is a vital part of the response to Covid-19 pandemic. Hand hygiene includes the use of hand sanitizers that are ethanol or isopropyl based. This is a simple yet highly effective way to prevent the spread of infection in both healthcare and non-healthcare settings.
American Integrative Pharmacy (AIP), led by Dr. Neema Yazdanpanah, provides safe and proven, American made hand sanitizers to individuals in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
AIP provides advanced compounding pharmacy solutions, including online prescription refills for patients in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles, South Bay Orange County, Southern California areas, and online nationwide.
Contact Us For More Information about American Integrative Pharmacy’s Online Compound Prescriptions
American Integrative Pharmacy is located in Torrance, CA serving residents in and around Orange County, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Lomita and surrounding areas. Online prescription sales are available across the US.